Kiwi, Hayward Variety
Kiwi fruit has one of the highest concentrations of vitamin C of all the fruits. It is a powerful antioxidant and is low in calories. In our farms we make sure we obtain the degrees brix before each harvest according to the local protocol of 6.5º Brix and a minimum GUARANTEED dry matter (DM) of 14.5 %.
Since 2020 we have incorporated Taste Zespri Grade (TZG) classification. This DM indicator is used by the world’s best kiwi producers. This is reflected with the letters M, T and Y on the corners of the pallets or on the labels of all our products.
Classification according to TZG New Zealand is shown as per the table below.
|Taste range (Indicated in pallet)||TZG||Rango de MS (%)|
|M (MEDIUM)||More de 0,53||14,5% a 16,5%|
|T (TASTE)||0,46 – 0,53||16,5% a 17,5%|
|Y (YUMMY)||Minimum standard 0,46||17,5% a 20% and more|
(Assessment of taste band on calculated TZG basis)
Kiwi Fruit Benefits
Kiwi fruit can be eaten fresh, without peeling and with a spoon by cutting the fruit in half. It can also be in salads, smoothies and different desserts.
According to the American Journal of Nutrition, kiwi fruit provides a wide range of health benefits due to their nutritional contents. These include the following:
- Exceptionally high in vitamin C (>80mg/100mg), much higher than lemon, which covers the recommended daily dose (RDA).
- Prevention of colds and viral infections.
- Rich in folic acid (Vitamin B), an important complement during pregnancy.
- High content of fibre (3g/100g) providing important positive benefits to the digestive system.
- Rich in minerals (potassium, calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium), improves muscle performance and prevents osteoporosis and hypertension.
- Low in calories (80cal/100g), recommended for weight loss diets.
- Low glycaemic Index (Gl<40), prevents coronary heart disease and diabetes.
- Actinide enzymes that help the digestive process.
Kiwi fruit are also used in the preparation of different dishes, mainly meat, due to the enzymatic effect of actinide (it facilitates its digestion).
How to Preserve Kiwi Fruit
Leave the amount of kiwi fruit to be consumed for the next 2 or 3 days at room temperature. To accelerate its ripening to the point of consumption, simply place the kiwi fruit with bananas or apples. For its conservation and gradual maturation, it is recommended to put kiwi fruit in the lower drawer of the fridge. Kiwi Fruit can also be frozen for later consumption as a juice, smoothie, or cooked.